Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sleepless on Stonewall

When you breastfeed, you get a lot of time to bond and sometimes even watch TV if you so chose.  I have been keeping up with shows I haven't seen in quite awhile including Super Nanny and Wife Swap evenings on Lifetime.  I used to watch these shows and think the parents were crazy and that it was their own darn fault their kids are having melt downs and their house was in disarray.  I always told myself "When I become a parent there is no way that will happen".  Now I wonder how many years it will be until I am featured on Super Nanny or maybe Dr. Phil will have us on and say "What were You Thinking?!!" in his southern style accent because we let our baby sleep in our room for too long or because we rocked her to sleep every night or picked her up when we heard her cry. 

Here I am now as the parent and I am doing exactly the opposite of what I thought I believed every parent should do.  I even have a degree in Early Childhood Learning and know what I am doing isn't "correct" according to the childhood experts we studied back in the day.  It is so hard not to pick her (my little Carly Anne) up when her cries sound like she is being tortured not to mention you hear a mama mamama ma (even though she doesn't know yet that is me) in the crying/screaming mix.  I am trying to let her cry but an hour an a half later she is still crying, not sleeping and neither is her mother. I pick her up, feed her, rock her and she sleeps until an hour later and then the cycle starts all over again until our 5 a.m. wake up call.

Today I am thrilled about a two-three hour stretch of straight sleep. It is a catch 22-either I let her cry all night long and we both don't get any sleep or I wake up every hour to hopefully get 45 minute naps all night.  Then we have the story of the dogs who also sleep in our room, who also help keep us awake with their toe tapping, shaking, and ruffling of the beds.  We just can't win.

 My little one surprises me as to how little sleep she can live off of and still smile. I wish I could reciprocate, but unfortunately I need a little Folgers to help me with that these days.  I keep praying that this too shall pass, but I'm reminded that when the endless nights pass so will my time to snuggle, cuddle, and kiss my little monkey who will be 25 before I know it.  So until then I will take the sleepless nights on Stonewall.  For the rest of you out there- Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite!  Nighty Night! (Dr. Phil, I still would love to meet you).

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Amy Jo! Love your posts! Is this pattern of waking to nurse just starting or has this been going on a long time? I was a member of LaLeche League for quite a few years, and if it's the former, it sounds like she's just increasing your milk supply. It takes 48 hours to level off with a larger supply. I know how hard it is to let babies cry; sounds like she has a reason. I was never good at letting them cry either. It all works out as they get older; now is the time for cuddling and nursing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda!

    This has been going on since 4months. I used to nurse her whenever she woke, but then realized, she might be waking just for that so now rock her unless it has been at least three hours since the last feeding. We start this exciting sleep pattern every night at 7p.m. Her 2-3 hour stretch of sleep usually is between 11 and 2 somewhere in there and then we are back to the hourly wakings.....so much fun. I especially love it when Boomer thinks its time to get up and beats her to the punch.

    ReplyDelete